Sunday, March 18, 2012

There are reasons why Mothers have to be pregnant for 9 months...

I'm at week 23, or about 5 months plus pregnant now. I'm not exactly sure how many months I am in and it's easier to keep track on the weeks. SJ thinks in the pregnancy world, it takes 4.5 weeks to make a month because the pregnancy period is 9 months or 40 weeks. So, 23 weeks divided by 4.5 weeks equals to 5.1 months.


I am 
pregnant :)


SJ noticed that I'm becoming more 'motherly' nowadays.. slowly developing motherly senses to prepare for baby's arrival. One most obvious change is that I'm more of a light sleeper now. I am much easily woken up nowadays compared to pre-pregnancy. I used to sleep like a log, seriously, SJ could be using the hair dryer only about 2 feet away from me and I could still sleep soundly without knowing that he was blow-drying his hair. I could sleep with the lights on or off, whether someone is moving in and out of my bedroom before I got pregnant. I did not even stir! I was used to not 'hearing' my alarm when it rings and that annoys SJ a real lot because he had to wake up to turn off my alarm and wake me up telling me that my alarm just went off. I am not sure whether I was a deep sleeper or I was just sleep-deprived because I used to stay up till very late and had super early mornings compared to now as I am having enough sleep nowadays.

SJ is definitely a much light sleeper than me. He would usually complain that my phone makes way too much noise and he was amazed that I could sleep through it because I would be so crazy and put lots and lots (seriously a lot, up to 20 or more) of reminders, alarms and notifications for things to do and appointments starting as early as 7am EVERY DAY. That really drove SJ so mad that I had to silent my phone over the weekends. I didn't have this problem or even noticed that it was a problem (because I slept through them) as we were not staying together initially but have to compromise since he got back to work in KL. 

Things are different now because I would be easily woken up; when SJ turns on/off a switch, when he leaves the bed, when the bedroom door is open/closed. I could wake up with the slightest noise. I could even tell he was going to work by the smell of SJ's shaving balm or perfume in the early morning. Now, SJ cannot leaves the room or make any movements without me knowing! I'm not sure if that's a good change for him :P

SJ thinks that I'm more of a light sleeper nowadays because I'm going to be a mother soon. This is to prepare when baby wakes up in the middle of the night and I won't sleep through the baby's cries. If I sleep through it, I think I'll be such a horrible mother! Many of my friends also commented that I'm looking more motherly now, a nicer way to say that I'm looking more 'aunty' ;) When I was at the reception of a restaurant to put my name in the waiting list for dim sum lunch today, that front desk person put down 'Mrs Amy' instead of 'Ms'. She wrote 'Ms' first but dashed it across and put 'Mrs' instead. Haha. Maybe that is to indicate to her other colleagues that should they be looking for Amy, look for a more 'aunty' Amy and not a hot sexy Amy :S 

There are reasons that on why human mothers go through 9 months before the baby comes along. It will be so difficult for a woman to accept a new baby in mentally, emotionally and physically if a baby appears in a MONTH! 9 months is good for the body to adapt and make changes to welcome the baby into this world. I am also slowly preparing myself for the natural birth during this pregnancy period. I agree with the statement that every mother has a special instinct for their kid that is formed when the baby comes into this world. A mother knows the baby's needs from the baby's cries and no other person knows the baby as well as the own mother. I think this goes on even after the baby becomes an adult. It's such a amazing bond that can never be explained. 

Two mothers told me over lunch today that motherhood is such an amazing fulfilling experience even though it was super duper difficult at first, with all the interrupted sleeps etc. And I'm looking forward to it! But with very high expectations that it's going to be VERY VERY DIFFICULT for the first few months :P

No comments:

Post a Comment