Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New haircut for a new stage in life!

Just had a new hair cut last Friday and I'm feeling so happy with my new hair now ;)))

I had long hair for about 12 years after I left secondary school. I have kept it straight all those years and gave it a perm for the first time in 2006 because I kept getting comments from clients that I was looking too young. A perm instantly added 5 more years to my looks, which was quite helpful at that time.My hair was most beautiful; straight smooth, long and silky during my wedding in 2009 because I put in so much effort by going to regular hair treatments in the saloon. 2010 was the bad hair year. Soon after my wedding I did more things to my hair and it took a toll and went completely damaged, especially after SJ & I went to Phuket in August 2010. It got worse after my hairstylist suggested I permed it again (after my Phuket trip!) to give it more volume which was a super bad idea! I'd never get his advice to perm or colour again.

Finally cut my hair after trying and trying for 6 months to revive my beautiful locks. I was spending so much money going to the saloon to get treatments but my hair just couldn't absorb any moisture. It was like dry grass :(( So, I had this hair cut; removing all the curls and colours in June 2011. I was super happy!

Picture taken on 17th June 2011

It was the best decision that I've got for my hair for the past 2 years. I felt so light, I spent so much lesser time to care for my hair; shampoo, conditioning and blow-drying. It was wonderful. The last time I had short hair was in school.. I was looking so much younger. 

Then, this short hair thing got quite addictive and I went back to have a shorter but more matured cut the very next month!

Picture taken on 26th July 2011

I was very tempted to have a super short hair cut but was afraid that I might not look good in it. I have a round shaped face and I was afraid that I would look chubby. I have told SJ that I will cut my hair super short when there is a life changing event happening; the next stage in our relationship, that is when we're going to have a baby! We were sort of like planning to have a baby in that year.

A few months later, we found out the good news but did not share it with our friends yet. I was so excited that I have decided to cut my hair super short! This hair cut was after much discussion with my hairstylist; that is to continue to keep it long or have it really short for confinement period.

Picture taken on 1st December 2011

My hairstylist thinks that it's better to have really short hair during the confinement period because in the Chinese belief, the new mother is usually not allowed to wash her hair to prevent rheumatism. The hairstylist's theory was shorter hair will produce less oil, which would not clog the hair pores so much and this will prevent lesser hair fall and balding. I agreed with him and I was so thankful to have my hair short during my first trimester. It was so much easier to manage with the nausea and giddiness in the first trimester. I could wash my hair in less than 3 minutes and I didn't even have to conditioned and blow dry it. It was fantastic. 

Maintaining and making sure my hair was in place was the last thing on my priority list in my first trimester. I was more concerned making sure I was feeling ok and trying not to vomit. Having short hair is also so much easier to travel. I used to travel with many many bottles consist of conditioners, serum, hair mask, hair tonic and the hair dryer because I had such thick long hair that I needed a strong powerful hair dryer or I would take literally forever to dry my hair. With my new short hair now, I just needed a small bottle of shampoo and a comb!

But recently, I have been growing so much, putting so much weight on my face, I think this super short hair is not suitable as it doesn't hide my chubby cheeks. My mom suggested that I should have longer hair so that I would look more balance and more feminine. That's what I told my hairstylist and he suggested a bob; short behind with long fringe. That what I had last Friday! ;)

Picture taken on 18th March 2012. 
Here's a picture taken with a friend's 3 months baby, little Ethan. He is such a handsome boy!

My plan is to try to keep my hair as long as possible for the next 3-4 months, trying to achieve the 2nd picture length in this post and I shall make a decision in July on whether to have it long or have it super duper short before baby comes along. I guess from this post, my friends who are reading probably are surprised that I have put so much thoughts on my hair because this is quite a long post on HAIR! Haha! It's Tuesday! HAPPY TUESDAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment