Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The day we found out we're PREGNANT...


was on the 15th of November 2011! It was a very special day indeed. Well, my period was late, usually it was on or before the 10th of every month. I don't keep a very strict record on these dates, so, I would just usually remember the previous month's first day of menstrual, which in my case was 5th of October. So, I have decided that 15th is the day to test it out, meanwhile, I shall not think about it.. we weren't exactly super ready to be parents yet, but at the same time, we were sort of ready.. so, we were pretty much in the middle; nonchalant on whether we're pregnant or not.

I am that type of person that seemed so sure about my career and making certain decisions but when comes to a relationship status change, I seemed so unsure about it. When SJ proposed, I was so excited for the first few moments, but after a while, I got worried that I was not ready to be someone's wife or daughter-in-law to the point that SJ asked me, 'you don't want to marry me anymore ar?'. Nearing to the wedding date, I felt jittery inside but SJ knows me best, he just said, 'stop worrying, you're ready lar!'.

Same goes for this pregnancy thing, before I got pregnant, I didn't think I am ready to be someone's mother; it's such a huge responsibility! I am sort of like a mother in my agency, where my duty is to take care of my kids (my agents) but that is only during working hours from Mondays to Fridays, but being a real mother is like 24 hours, 7 days a week for the next 20-30 years!!! From the look of the new generations nowadays, maybe until my kids turn 40! That was quite scary! 

Plus, my biggest fear is the labour pain. That has been my biggest fear about this whole pregnancy thing; I rather substitute it with bungee jumping, sky diving or climbing some mountains. Before I got pregnant, SJ's agreement with me was that he will let me do whatever I want because it's my body; I can have cesarean-section delivery and I can have all the drugs that I want so it will be the least pain experience even though he doesn't think c-section is good for me and the baby. He has tried convincing me many times to go for natural birth and I would very harshly tell him that; in that case, I would rather he gets pregnant for the whole 9 months and deliver instead while I do all the carrying of heavy things, working more hours, giving him massages, stay with him in the entire delivery process and I promise to wake up everytime baby wakes up in the middle of the night. His smart response would be, 'I wished I could but I couldn't!'. Haha! But anyway, I'm have a different view on labour now. I am all ready to try natural delivery for now and why I made this decision is another day's story to tell.

Back to the 15th of November; on the 14th, I remembered it was on a weekday evening, we went to the pharmacy and bought two pregnancy test kits. I was the 'kiasu' one, that was why got two instead of just one to be doubly sure. Felt a little weird buying these kits, felt so grown up that we're really going into the next stage of life, being parents!We got two different brands to ensure the results are correct and consistent.

The very next morning, we both woke up early as usual to prepare to work, I used one pregnancy test kit but the result came out as unsure, the second red line was very faint and the reason given by the box was that either I was pregnant but at a very early stage or I may not be pregnant at all. Two hours later, I was still at home, I used the 2nd test kit and it confirmed that I am pregnant!!! The second right red line was very clear and dark red. Was feeling both happy and nervous at the same time in the toilet. Got so excited that I took my phone and sent this photo to SJ while he was at work.

My SMS message with this picture to SJ was 'Congrats, you're going to be a Daddy!' :))

One of the first few things that ran in my mind was, 'Oh no! I just bought two new dresses few days ago!!! Better wear them soon!' Haha! And the other was I won't be able to go see the new house renovation progress anymore.  That very same day, I have decided to wear my new top to work to celebrate this happy news. 

We were so excited that we decided to see a doctor on the same day to confirm this pregnancy; our preference was somewhere nearby in PJ or Damansara clinics. My first choice was Dr Joyce Thum, a gynecologist at Old Town, PJ because I recently went to her for a pap smears test but she is not an obstetrician and she was away that day. Our second choice was our friend, Dr Ng Ee Vern, a general practitioner at Uptown, Damansara. So, I called to make an appointment to see him, the very last appointment of the day, 5.30pm at his clinic. 

5.30pm came that day & I met SJ at the clinic. I remembered it was raining and we parked at the new multi-level car park at Uptown. Ee Vern saw me and he didn't' know why we were there; he thought I was consulting him about my recently done blood test with him. He was explaining the blood test results to me again; paying extra attention to my thyroid hormone level because of my thyroid surgery in 2010. He probably wondered why SJ was there as well. I am quite an independent person, I would usually go for all my doctor's consultations by myself. After chatting for quite a while, he finally sit back, put his hands together and asked us, 'What brings you both here today?'. I thought it was quite funny because it took so long for him to ask us. Told him that we suspect I am pregnant and he has a delighted look on his face. He is happy because his twin girls are going to have play-mates soon!

He has a old ultrasound machine in his room and he scanned my tummy. That was our very first time seeing that super tiny blur dot on the ultrasound machine screen. His machine is not good enough to do anything else such as see the heart moving/blinking or listen to the heart-beats. He said that it's one egg, so confirmed I am not having twins and it's at the right place; it's in the uterus and not in the Fallopian tubes which is not an ectopic pregnancy. So it was all good :)))))))) SJ and I were elated!

Here's a picture of our very first ultrasound taken on the 15th November 2011 by Ee Vern's old, super unclear and dark ultrasound machine. SJ and I were both very happy to see the little black round in the middle which Ee Vern has identified as our baby!


Ee Vern calculated that I was 5 weeks pregnant on that day. He recommended us a few obstetricians as it was time to 'shop' for our obstetrician and we should start seeing obstetricians the following week. His first advice was not to take any herbal foods such as 'tom yum' and 'bak kut teh' because his wife was given the same advice by his wife's obstetrician. He also recommended me to start taking pre-natal supplement, Obimin-Pluz and I have been taking it since then. Ee Vern was the first person to know this news, followed by his wife ;) We told him that we won't be telling this news to our friends until after three months. Before we parted, Ee Vern asked whether did we plan this pregnancy? It was sort of yes and no and he thinks that couples that are not too stressed up on planning a pregnancy will usually get pregnant easily. Thought that was a very good tip for getting pregnant, that is don't have too high expectations. 

We left his clinic feeling so happy and special. We suddenly realised that there is no longer just the two of us, there is going to be three of us, a little family. I felt so special while walking on the street because there is a child inside me. We were stuck in a terrible jam for the next two hours (usually it takes us less than 30 mins!) on our way home due to heavy rain and during this time, I was chatting with SJ on the phone (because we drove separate cars) telling each another the things we want to do for our baby while I was surfing pregnancy websites on the Ipad2. From these websites, I've calculated my estimated due date and prepared a list of questions to interview my obstetrician before deciding on him or her on the following week. 

Got home for dinner with the Yongs and SJ broke the news at the dinner table. My parents-in-law conveyed their congratulations and SJ's grandmother was so happy that she is going to be a great granny soon! SJ's grandmother was most excited with this news. SJ's brother said he will spoil the kid a lot. The next day, we told the Chongs in the office after training in the evening. SJ was in my office that day and after almost everyone has went back home, I waved for my parents and sister to come into my office room as I have an announcement to make. My parents came into my office with puzzled looks wondering what the secretive announcement that I was going to make. Told them the news and the Chongs were all very happy. Jamie wants to be an awesome and fashionable aunt! She quite immediately said she wants to dress up the baby so the baby will be a very stylish baby. 

That week was really a very special one :)) Thinking and remembering it while recording it down in this blog makes me feel warm and fuzzy again inside. Almost 20 weeks have passed since this very week and baby has grown so much and actively kicking inside nowadays :)))) Looking forward for the coming weeks until baby's arrival! 

2 comments:

  1. it is a great feeling isn't it! i remember like it was just yesterday when we found out that i was pregnant, the best feeling ever, especially since we were trying for a year. and now, keenan is already 7 1/2 months old. can't wait to see little SJ!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES Audrey! Reading this post again gives me warm fuzzy feelings again! ;) Can't believe that time just passes by so fast. SJ & I can't wait to see baby too!!!!

      Delete