Saturday, March 3, 2012

My favourite MOMENTS..


Is listening to baby's heartbeats aloud every time at my antenatal visit. I could remember my feelings when I first heard baby's 'galloping' heartbeats.. SJ & I was like 'WOW!'. It was like one of the most amazing things that I've ever heard. We were in the room with my doctor on my very first appointment.. the room was very quiet.. Dr. Choong was handling the ultrasound machine & our eyes were on the screen the whole time trying to work out that tiny dot on the screen.. then, suddenly, it was as if the whole room went silent.. we heard this fast 'horse galloping' sounds.. & Dr. Choong said this is baby's heart beating! That was when I was in week 6. Could not believe that there was a 'living being' in my tummy & this living being has its own set of heartbeats! 

There were days when I did not feel so 'pregnant', on those days when I was feeling all good, no nausea and I had a high level of energy; I would start to worry about baby a little.. and I always thought wouldn't it be great if I could have a device or a stetescope to listen to baby's heartbeats, so that I would be reassured that baby is doing alright inside. 

That's why I was incredibly jealous of my colleague & distant cousin, Chee Wai when he could download & save his wife's ultrasound visual & heartbeats audio into his computer! He was showing me on his computer the movements of his baby & he could listen to the baby's heartbeats anytime they wanted. I really really wanted that!! :( I requested from Dr. Choong in my very next visit which was on the 13th of Febuary, that I wanted to save the visual & audio of the ultrasound.. but unfortunately he doesn't know how to do that. Dr. Choong is a rather old man and not very tech-savvy but he said I could bring my thumbdrive in my next visit, we can meddle around his equipment & try to save them :))) We're definitely going to try saving the ultrasound in our next visit on the 9th March.

Recently, I have a new favourite moment, which is baby's kicks! Never felt so happy getting 'kicked'! Haha! Started to feel some baby's movements about 3 weeks ago, at week 18 but I was not sure because it could be gas. It was those gentle fluttering sensations in your belly and I was told it may not be easily identified especially in the first pregnancy. Baby's movements are more prominent in week 19 and I can definitely feel baby's kicks in week 20 onwards :) I always feel baby's movements/kicks on my right side on my tummy, I have made a note to ask the doctor which part of him is kicking me.. his hands or feet? 

Baby started kicking more after I started using Baby Plus in week 19. Baby Plus is a prenatal education system, which was introduced to me by SJ's colleague, Kenneth & his wife Hui Ming. We read more about it in the internet and found that it could be helpful and got it right away. I thought the sounds made by this Baby Plus device was rather loud and wondered whether baby likes or hates it. I'm not sure if baby's constant kicking during this system was played (an hour, twice a day, everyday) was baby telling me, 'Mommy, I'm loving it!' or 'Mommy, please stop this one hour torture!'. :S 

SJ's interpretation was that baby would NOT kick if baby hates it. Baby's kicking is because he is responding and loving it. The hours that I use this system are in the mornings (about 7-8am) and nights (about 10.30-11.30pm). The manual advised to use the system at the same time everyday. I could feel baby's kicks around these hours when I did not start the system on time or decided not to use it. So, baby kicks mean he was asking for his pre-natal lessons! I guess this system creates a routine and hopefully it will be helpful for baby's developments in the future.

Just like with the heartbeats, I get worried too if I did not or could not feel baby's kicks. I'm such a worry-pot! I would voiced my concern to SJ & we would put our hands on my tummy.. speaking to my tummy, asking baby to kick. Magically, baby responds to our requests everytime & that would bring a HUGE smile to my face. Really never felt so happy/relieved being kicked! SJ probably thinks I'm weird-worried-over-nothing but I'm thankful that he is always there so reassuring and telling me that everything is going to be alright..  :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment